Tuesday, April 27, 2010

FEED YOUR FAMILY FOR...



This is my first post about food that I cook so please bear with me as I indulge in the magiks of the kitchen.

The Vaiano Risotto recipe is a delicious, straightforward, authentic Italian risotto taken directly from my former accounting teacher Mr. Vaiano's collection of fail-proof family dinner recipes. I had my first go at this last year and my family loved it for its simple organic flavours. The ingredients used were what we had sitting in the fridge/ pantry at the time except the arborio which I had to make a special trip out to Coles to buy.


The core ingredients for this dish:
  • arborio rice
  • tinned tomatoes
With everything else interchangeable and replaceable including:

  • marinated diced chicken pieces
  • broccoli
  • fresh tomatoes
  • spring onion


Method:
  1. Chop all the meat and veg up and then stir fry them
  2. Cook the arborio rice in a pot or rice cooker (make sure you have your settings correct.) You will want to make sure you are using a risotto rice such as arborio, carnaroli or nano as these types of rice stick better creating the unique texture of risotto rice. Asian rices such as jasmine cannot be used.
  3. Mix in the tinned tomatoes (with juices) with the rice in the pot making sure there is a nice reddish colourage to the rice. If there isn't add tomato sauce.
  4. Transfer the rice and the meat and veg into a large pot or steamer and mix it all up under a medium heat.
  5. Add salt to taste then serve while hot.